Monday, February 22, 2010

Can it be?...nah...yeah!

It was a fateful evening on November 11th 2009...I paced back and forth in my empty apartment as I waited for the three minutes to pass by, although any other time three minutes would only take a matter of seconds, not this actually felt like minutes slowly going by. As I looked down at my cellphone to see if the time had yet passed, I learned that it was the time to discover if the usual little red line would show or if a red plus sign would show. Unsure if I'd even recognize a plus sign in this circumstance, I stepped into the bathroom, and turned on the light, as I looked down at the test that lay on the counter, there it was, a red plus sign...or was it? Or maybe it was a smudged red line. I had to pick it up to take a closer look. After staring at it for a few moments (which again felt like forever!) I understood what I was looking wasn't just a red plus sign, it was a sign that I was pregnant!

The day that led up to that moment are as follows.

Steven (hubby) was speaking at our Youth Ministry that wednesday night. The lead Youth Pastor was out of town on vacation. Later after the service he had to head straight to Seattle for a three day conference, to return on Saturday the 14th. At about 5pm that Wednesday night I thought that it had been a while since I was supposed to start. I stopped paying attention as to how late my period was, but I guestimated that it was about 2 weeks late. I decided to run to the store to pick up a pregnancy test. It was weird to think that I could actually be preggo. As I rushed home to change and get ready for the service that was taking place within the hour, all I had rushing through my head was "what if?"...and "what should I wear tonight?". I ran inside and quickly took the test out of the box, and read the instructions carefully. After the three minutes were up and after the few moments passed, I decided, I need to take one more test to be sure! So I again ran to the store and picked up another preggo test. Rushed back home, and yet again it was positive. I was so excited while it took a while to sink in! I didn't have much time to ponder on it, as I had to rush back to the church for the youth service. I decided to not tell Steven right away because I knew he was leaving for the weekend right after the service, I wanted to tell him in a special way at a time when WE could celebrate about it.

Three days went by as I held my secret in without telling anyone! It was a hard task. I ended up staying in doors a lot as to not blurt it out to a friend! I stayed home and researched my possible due date, and pregnancy facts...etc. It kept me busy, but I counted down the minutes Steven would arrive home.

When Steven finally arrived home at roughly 1am on Sunday morning, I was still up waiting for him, which was out of the ordinary for me, so I think right away Steven thought that something was up. After small talk for the first 20 minutes or so, discussing the facts of the conference and drive home, I couldn't hold it in any longer. I said "Steven, I want to show you something"...right away Steven replies "what'd you buy? How much was it?" (he knows me too well! Just not in this moment!) Then I pulled out the pregnancy test and showed Steven. He took it and just looked down at it for a moment or two, at first I don't think he realized completely what he was looking at, then it came to him. And a big "WHAT?" came out. Then to make sure we were on the same page, I said "Steven, I'm pregnant". At that he sat on the bed next to me and held me as it began to sink in for him and I. I couldn't have asked for a better or more special response from him.

This journey has been an exciting journey, especially while each day passes there are so many unknowns ahead. The one thing we both know is that we are going to love this little baby boy or girl the way Jesus loves us, by being willing to lay down our lives for him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment