Saturday, September 5, 2009

Let the strangeness begin...



Should I start this blog off with a question? Today is the day my blogging begins. My husband is out golfing today, it ended up being an all day event. I thought it'd last for a few hours, not all day. But what can I say? I've also been occupied by re-decorating our bedroom. Well, decorating it would be better to say. We've been married for a little over 2 years, and our room has yet to have a theme. So you can imagine the excitement I had when I finally decided on a theme for it. I chose zebra print and a bright turquoise blue. You may be thinking, hmm, interesting combo. But it's turning out beautifully.

The inspiration? A 50's vintage blue chair I found this last spring at a yard sale for $7! I couldn't turn it down! But it didn't go with any of my main decor, so it was just pretty random, but adorable! So I've had this chair sitting in my living room (sticking out like a blue chair in a rust/orange themed living room) for the last couple of months. I decided to put it in my bedroom, until I could figure out what to do with it. Then it came to me, I love the blue color, it just needs something a little spunky to go with it...ZEBRA print with black and white accents through out. This chair would become a center piece for our bedroom. I wanted something retro, yet romantic for our room.

I immediately got to work. First thing was to fill our wall space. I went to a local thrift store and picked up about 6 picture frames, large, small, round, and square. I spray painted them all black, then I took out the glass (so it's just the wood) and hot glued black ribbon on the inside of the frame, then put a big clear crystal bead on the end of the ribbon with a couple of crystal sequins as well. I did the same thing to all 6 frames. I hung them up on our main wall in the bedroom. They turned out exactly as I wanted. And they only cost me about $10 for all of them.

The next thing I wanted was bold zebra print curtains, we found faux zebra fur at JoAnn's Fabric on clearance. It actually worked out really well, I wasn't quite sure about it, until we put them up. But they look great! I am also working on getting some black sheers to hang in between them, but for some reason those are hard to find! You wouldn't think so though! Oh well, I'll get them eventually.

I spray painted a big mirror I got at a thrift store black, and hung it next to the bed, along with a wedding picture and two candle sconces. I am also working on a project for right above the bed, I'll blog about that once it's complete. Basically it's another thrift store creation.

I bought a zebra print rug for really cheap at Ross, and also found a beautiful black bed set. It's all coming together. My mom and I are in the process of making turquoise and zebra print pillows for the bed as well. Next project will be to paint my dresser black. I'll be posting some pictures so you can see the process.

As I long for my husband's return from the green, I will be pondering what's next for my strange yet "happenin'" life as a wife!
















1 comment:

  1. Love your cool new Blog, Sis! What a terribly clever title you have! And the pics look pretty awesome as well! Who's awesome camera did you use? ;)

    ReplyDelete